Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas 08

I'm slowly realizing that I'm right in the middle of one of the most historic times since this country's inception. No matter how you wanted the election to go, the fact of the matter is that it was one of the turning points in the political realm and an important milestone. I was there. I got to vote in that election. I watched as wildfires burned up people's homes in California and winds of 75 mph. ripped through canyons, carrying fire and destroying people's belongings. I grieved for those people and I can only imagine what that would be like. I have watched as the economy of this country has faltered and brought panic and concern to it's citizens who have lost jobs, savings, retirement, and their sense of security. I was there. I'm witnessing that very thing every day, just like everyone else.

And yet, I'm looking at all this and I'm really not all that worried. I don't worry because it is wasted effort actually, the act of worrying. You can learn a lot by watching the creatures of nature that live around you. I heard the statement the other day that "birds don't know how to worry". Think about that. Have you ever seen a bird wringing its wings or slamming it's beak against a tree because another bird took it's food or if it is raining or if it didn't agree with another bird's song? I didn't think so. They are born with a purpose and they know what it is and everyday of their lives is spent on that purpose. They may get shot, run over by cars, electrocuted on high wires, sucked up in airplane engines or eaten by cats, but at least when they got up that morning they were not worried about anything. They just know they have a purpose.

I'm very excited about Christmas of 08 and the year that will be following it. I have so many blessings to be thankful for it would fill up this whole page and then some. I've also had my share of hardships and problems, just like everybody else. But I would like to think of myself as more of a bird than a person and I think the average bird is going to have a very good year in 2009, no matter what happens.

So have a very merry Christmas and happy new year and just keep in mind that it will all get better if you keep moving, thinking, living, loving and caring.

Watch the birds.

No comments: