Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Music Hating Loft Dwellers

I recently saw a story on the news about the citizens of downtown Austin once again complaining about the noise level of the clubs in the area and they always show someone holding a decibel meter measuring the level to make sure it doesn't go over 75 decibels or whatever it is and then they pan the camera over to the latest high rise loft to show how close the club is to them. Every time I see one of these stories I'm reminded of just how short the time is for musicians in this town. It's amazing to me to see the changes that have occurred in just the past few years in the skyline of the city and how it has impacted the local music scene and overall feel of the music business in the capital city.

I wonder, what is it that people really want in this town now? And if it isn't the music, history, college sports and general charm of the original Austin, then what is it? It might be easier if we knew who it is that dwells in those lofts reaching for the sky and what do they desire for the city of Austin? If they don't like the music that was here when they got here, then what is it that they want?

Surely it isn't the bicycles and trails that they want, but is it? Should we tear down some more historical landmarks so they can have a place to ride their bicycles in their new spandex shorts and matching helmets? I know I just love waiting for a pack of them to move along some of the busiest roads in the city at rush hour at a snails pace while everyone in cars pokes along behind them. We should ask the loft dwellers and just see exactly what it is that they want. I'm curious myself to see what would make them happy, if anything.

Maybe some of them will inform me just what it is that they want for the city of Austin.

I'm curious.

No comments: